A Blog with a Purpose

I started this blog with the intention of making a good shared recipe site. These are all recipes which I have found, cooked, ate and loved (also that my 2 going on 3 picky eaters loved as well: my husband, 6 yr old son and 3 month old daughter). So give them a try and feel free to leave comments on the recipes as well and share this page with your friends. Enjoy - Kenni Holland

Upside-Down Pizza

This recipe is awesome. My sister got it from a friend, who got it from a friend, and so on. Best thing about it: you can do your own variation based on you families taste and what you're craving.

Upside Down Pizza


Ingredients
1 lb lean ground beef (I use the leanest they sell 97/3 so I don't have to mess with draining it)
1 zucchini chopped
1 small onion chopped
1 can mushrooms or fresh if you like.
1-9oz pkg frozen spinach, thawed
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (doesn't matter if it's fine or coarse as long as its shredded)
1 jar marinara sauce (I use Prego's chunky garden tomato and garlic)
1 refrigerated pie crust (comes with 2 pieces usually)
Salt 
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Italian Seasoning
Powdered Parmesan cheese


1. Take out the pie crusts and let them come to room temperature (about 15 minutes)
2. Line 9" pie pan with one crust you will use the other to top it with.
3. In large skillet or electric skillet, brown beef over medium heat (drain if alot of grease) add zucchini, onion and mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning to taste (you can omit any of these if you like) while cooking.
4. Once veggies are tender and beef is done add the jar of sauce and simmer for a few minutes.
5. Meanwhile, drain liquid out of spinach and mix some salt into the spinach.
6. Pour meat mixture into pie pan.
7. Top with spinach.
8. Top with mozzarella cheese.
9. Top with other pie crust tuck in crust around the edge and pinch the edges (it says flute the edges but I don't know what in the heck that means I just pinch mine LOL).
10. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of crust, cut a few slits in the crust too.
10. Cook at 400* for 20 minutes or until crust is done (it really depends on you pie pan I use a stoneware one and it takes almost 30 for mine to be done)

Variations:
My sister adds black olives and artichokes to hers.
I also thought about using sausage and chunks of pepperoni instead of ground beef.
You really can put what ever the heck you want to in it. Use your imagination.

No comments: